Implementation of corporate data warehouse: decision-making tool
ABOUT THE CLIENT
The Client is a major European air transport player with an activity divided between passenger transport, cargo transport and aeronautical maintenance. The company serves 36 destinations in the home country and operates worldwide scheduled passenger and cargo services to 175 destinations in 78 countries.
- Delivering a management tool for consistent and “easy to use” data despite large volumes of data and significant functional complexity.
- The Client’s need is a management tool that monitors interactions between different departments, to enable the consistent sharing if collected data. The purpose of the tool is to allow flawless information sharing. To make it possible, we offered a coherent decision-making tool that gives company managers of various levels an instant access.
- This principle of sharing must be found in the decision-making information system articulated around a data warehouse common to the entire company: the Cient’s corporate data warehouse.
- The expected average annual volume is 3000 md. for the DWH (Data Warehouse) team including 1000 md. for Traffic
- The stages of the project were the analysis of the present data and business needs as well as the production of architecture/technical design files. And estimate the production of a POC to select the technologies and offers that can meet required needs, if necessary, then to propose solutions allowing to go further in the use (loading, transformation, restitution) of the data.
- The adopted final solution consists of loading all company’s Traffic data into Teradata tables to produce dashboards using Business Objects reporting tools, the PowerCenter ETL extracts data from large flat files provided by the “operational applications”, transforms them (integrity and format checks, etc.) and allows them to be loaded.
- Transformation and integration into DBMS tables of more complex data is done using FastLoad & Bteq Teradata and not ETL mainly for performance reasons.
- Systems: UNIX (SunOs 5.8), Windows 2000 or XP
- Database: TERADATA v2r6.2
- Data integration: Informatica PowerCenter v7.1.3
- FastLoad, Bteq and FastExport TERADATA
- Business intelligence: Platform Business Objects v5.1.8
- Platform Business Objects XIr2sp4
- Providing end users with available, consistent and “easy to use” data despite large volumes of data and significant functional complexity.
- The service includes the follow-up in production of the data integration lines, the possibilities of carrying out corrective and evolutionary actions, the possibilities of updates and optimization of the databases, as well as the support for the end users