Delivering Open Source ITSM solution in Start Up mode
ABOUT THE CLIENT
The Client designs, manufactures and sells civil and military aerospace products worldwide and manufactures aircraft in Europe and various countries outside Europe. The company is the world’s largest airliner manufacturer and is a component of the Euro Stoxx 50 stock market index.
- Created an “Open-Source start-up iTop” allowing to set up a non-hierarchical organisation that had an impact on drawing benefits from simplified processes (access rights to servers in particular).
- The project delivered in a full Agile mode with rapid deliveries and short sprints.
- Full support of the Client’s choice moving Infrastructure department to open source, the iTop solution. Migrating the infrastructure components from the editor COMBODO to the CMDB (configuration management database).
- As the project was the promotion of the emerging Open Source ITSM solution, iTop, it included defining of the convergence roadmap to a single CMDB with all the infrastructure departments and the simplifying of the inherent processes.
- Work in Agile mode with rapid deliveries, short sprints providing a delivery of versions on weekly, monthly, quarterly basis
- Inventory of existing solutions and convergence towards a single iTop solution
- Classification of the common repository (CMDB)
- Several hundred thousand assets in the solution:
- Providing solutions in place in the Front Office (PCs, workstations, printers, smartphones and tablets)
- Providing solutions in place in the Back Office (web servers, storage, virtualization, etc.)
- Setting up general connectivity and maintenance (mainly networks)
- Development of a mobile version of the application for local technicians (scan of barcodes for updating the CMDB in real time during an intervention)
- M iTOP
- Dig Dash
- PHP Unit
- Apache jMeter
- Functional testing
- Eclipse Luna 4.4 with PHP Development
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 6, PHP 5.3
- MariaDB 10Resources
- 1 Consultant on ITSM and Master Plan
- 10 Engineers/developers in Agile mode in a Start Up approach
For 2 years, as part of the “The Client goes open (source)” initiative, Infotel has been working on the deployment of the iTop solution to simplify and unifying the management of the CMDB and assets at the Client sites. This project, carried out in Agile mode as a “startup” entity within the company. We aimed to simplify and rationalise the multitude of tools developed by the various departments towards the iTop solution. Infotel carried out audit, analysis, rationalization and then integration of the iTop solution, in “plateau” mode. On the technical level, Infotel executed the configuration of the tool, the development of extensions, the development of “bar code entry” interfaces for the physical inventory as well as a mobile application dedicated to Client and built to meet to security issues.
CLIENT EXPERT SAYS :
“The mainframe of the project was executed in 4 months, then the team switched to MCO and “continuous improvement” mode. The large volume (+500,000 elements, links and large, connected population) required modifying certain functions of the core of the product to optimize performance. The solution is operational, connected to Remedy ITSM to feed the CMDB of this tool and fulfils its objectives of agility and rationalization”.